E. 185th Construction Update
You may see occasional construction activity in the next few weeks, as utilities undertake work that needs to be completed before the streetscape work begins. Catts Construction may start staging their signage, barrels, etc. in advance of the construction, which will begin in late March or early April, depending on the weather. Updates will appear in this post as they become available.
Phase II will extend from Villaview Road north to Windward Road and will include both sides of E. 185th Street. There will be some additional Phase I roadway paving work south of Villaview and at the Lakeshore Blvd intersection, as well. Work will begin as weather permits this spring, and continue through the end of the year. In addition to streetscape improvements:
- Crews will be removing trees. Many will be replaced when the project wraps up in the fall of 2023.
- A water main beneath E. 185th Street will be replaced.
- Above-ground water lines will be temporarily installed to ensure service continues with minimal interruption.
- Northbound traffic will be maintained throughout construction, but southbound traffic will be detoured, as it was for Phase I in 2022.
A meeting for E. 185th Street businesses, commercial building owners, and institutions will be held on Thursday, March 9th at 8:30am at The Lithuanian Club, 877 E. 185th Street. The City of Cleveland Engineering & Construction Department will make a presentation. Representatives from the city’s Traffic Engineering Department, ODOT and Catts Construction, the Phase II streetscape contractor, will also be available to answer questions.
Thank you to Laura Bala for sharing these updates.
Nottingham Railroad Bridge north to Villaview Villaview is now open to two-way traffic. All lanes are open on E. 185th Street.
E. 185th from Pawnee to Lake Erie two-way traffic should resume on 12/2, weather permitting. Parking on the East side of the road will remain closed, as needed, so contractors can complete brick paver installations. If needed, two-way traffic will be maintained by flaggers through the end of the year.
E 185th at Neff Road Shoulder work will take place through mid-December at this intersection. Two-way traffic will be maintained by flaggers, if needed.
E. 185th Street will be open to two-way traffic through the winter months, until construction resumes in the spring for Phase II, from Villaview north to Windward.
Planned improvements on East 185th Street, from Nottingham Road to Lake Erie, started this spring and include:
• Asphalt resurfacing of roadway pavement, including full and partial depth pavement repairs where needed.
• Curb, sidewalk, and ramp replacement to Americans with Disabilities Act compliance.
• Locherie Avenue, the fifth leg of the intersection with East 185th Street and Lakeshore Boulevard, will become a cul-de-sac to address safety concerns with turning movement confusion.
• Streetscape improvements including trees, decorative brick pavers, curb bumpouts, and decorative crosswalks.
• Branding features such as gateway entrance signage and pole-mounted decorative metal banners.
• Parking lanes will remain along the corridor in available areas.
• New signage and pavement markings including bike sharrows.
• Replacement of the traffic signals at Villaview Road, Neff Road and Lakeshore Boulevard.
• Replacement of the existing 10″ water main with a new 12″ water main from Mozina Drive to Pawnee Avenue.
Construction began in May 2022 and should conclude by Fall, 2023. Traffic will be maintained northbound throughout the project in order to prioritize ambulance traffic to Euclid Hospital. Learn more at the project’s website, east185streetscape.com.
For questions about the project, contact City of Cleveland Mayor’s Office of Capital Projects, Paul Fatica, 216-664-2469.